Toxins can be said to be anything that disrupts the normal metabolism and physiology of the body; they affect the functions of the body in a negative way and cause lots of health problems.
They can enter the body and they can also be created by the body; waste products from the normal activities of the cells and by-products of vaccines and drugs can be toxins. Our bodies are prone to invasion by toxins and just living our lives on a daily basis puts one at risk of coming in contact with toxins and toxins entering the body.
There are many ways toxins enter the body; it can be through the foods we eat, what we drink, what we apply on our skin, the medications we take, vaccines and the type of job we do and so on.
When toxins and waste products accumulate in the body, they can lead to health problems and complications; it is advisable to regularly detoxify the body to prevent these health problems.
Signs of Excess Toxins in the Body
There are signs your body gives you when it is struggling with excess toxins in the body; some of the signs are:
A persistent feeling of tiredness and weaknesses is a sure sign that your body is working hard to expel toxins; this can weaken your immune system and disrupt the levels and functions of hormones.
Many make the mistake of taking more sugar and sweet foods or more coffee to boost the levels of their energy but they are only making the case worse because sugar and artificial sweeteners are toxins; you are meant to be detoxifying and not pouring in more toxins into your body.
Unexplained weight gain which is hard to lose
When you start gaining weight suddenly without efforts and all means to lose weight seems ineffective; that is a sign of toxin overload.
This happens when the toxins in the body have disrupted the levels and activities of hormones; a complete detox and regular intake of healthy foods can correct this problem.
Skin problems can be a sign of toxins in the body; excess toxins can cause skin rashes, acne, and others. Acne occurs when the skin is loaded with toxins mostly from diet, cosmetics and skin care products. Psoriasis, eczema and puffy eyes are signs that your skin has reached its toxic limit.
Muscle pains and aches
Toxins affect the muscles and joints; if you experience muscle aches and joint pains on a regular basis without doing anything to cause it, then you need to detoxify your body.
Sensitivity to scents
When you have a strong reaction to scents; that implies that you are sensitive to chemicals and it is a sign that your body is fighting excess toxins.
Daily, the intestines do a lot of work to get rid of toxins; when excess toxins are in the intestines, constipation occurs, this causes lots of health problems because the toxins are in the body for a long time and they can cause harm.
Lots of processed foods stripped of nutrients and fiber; filled with chemicals, preservatives, artificial sweeteners and colorings, and pesticides are toxins that cause constipation. Constipation causes aches, pains, tiredness, headaches, and stomach upset. Other signs and symptoms of toxin overload are insomnia, body odor, chronic fatigue, irritability, and headaches.
Health Complications Caused by Excess Toxins
Excess toxins can cause serious health problems and medications; many medical problems are caused by this but it is not easy to diagnose because it mimics the signs and symptoms of other diseases.
Some people had some of these health complications without a cause and despite treatment, the condition still persisted; but when they detoxified their body, the symptoms cleared and the condition was reversed. Below are some of the health problems that can occur when there are too many toxins in the body.
Toxins are poisonous and are not meant to be in the body in the first place; in order to get rid of them; the immune system can provoke an inflammatory response.
This leads to inflammation which is behind many medical problems like eczema, heart disease, arthritis, asthma, Alzheimer’s disease, psoriasis, and many others.
Disrupted levels of hormones
Hormonal imbalance is one of the health problems caused by toxins overload; hormones are involved in almost all metabolic processes of the body and if their activities are disrupted or their level reduced or increased above normal, it can lead to different health problems.
Some of the problems caused by hormonal imbalances are infertility, painful menstruation, lack of menstruation, scanty menstruation, low sperm count, low levels of testosterone, high levels of estrogen, PMS, endometriosis, depression, anxiety, etc.
The digestive system expels toxins through the intestines; excess toxins can cause indigestion, poor digestion, diverticulitis, ulcers, constipation, hemorrhoids, and diarrhea.
Excessive toxins can affect the brain and impair cognitive functions; it can lead to foggy thinking, memory problems, mood swings, depression, difficulty making a decision, and inability to think critically. Young people who have heavy metal toxicity have symptoms mimicking that of dementia.
The skin is also an organ of elimination because the body tries to eliminate toxins through the pores of the skin. Those with acne, eczema, and psoriasis have excess toxins in their bodies.
How to Avoid Toxins?
Well, avoiding toxins completely in our time is very hard but we can reduce them to a very insignificant level by being careful with what we eat, drink, apply on our skin and other precautions.
Below are effective ways to minimize toxins.
- Eat healthy foods only; processed foods and drinks are the major ways toxins enter the body. Healthy and organic foods should be your main meal while junks should be taken once in a while if you can’t avoid them totally. All your meats should be organic and farm-raised; your fruits, vegetables, and foods should all be organic.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially in their raw states; they help a long way in detoxifying the body. They also boost the immune system and enable the body to get rid of toxins and waste fast.
- Take lots of herbs; ginger, turmeric, beets, lemons, limes, garlic, dandelion, milk thistle, asparagus, holy basil and others are powerful detoxifying herbs. You can take them daily; they are safe and have no side effects.
- Use natural cosmetics and skin care products; our skin has pores and these chemicals can enter the body through the pores on the surface of the skin. So make sure what you put on your skin is natural; a naturopath said: “if you can’t eat it, don’t put it on your skin”.
- Expose yourself to lots of sunlight; especially during sunrise and sunset. The sun detoxifies the body and boosts the immune system. It does not cause cancer; it only reacts with what you put on your skin and cause skin cancer. So avoid sunscreen, and chemicals, eat well, detoxify your body and you will benefit from sunlight.
- Drink spring water regularly; it detoxifies the body, keeps it clean and healthy.
- Drink lots of water daily; at least 8 cups of water a day and more when you exercise or the weather is hot. This will help your body get rid of toxins on a daily basis.
- Whenever you are brushing your teeth; remember to always scrub your tongue, you can use a tongue scraper.
- You should switch to natural products of toiletries, shampoo, deodorants, toothpaste, antiperspirants, washing soaps and detergents and any product you use that has implications for your health, look for natural alternatives.
- Avoid eating farm-raised fish
- Don’t use metal fillings for your teeth; they release mercury inside the body and this metal is dangerous. You can go to a specialized dentist to have them removed.
- Avoid eating or drinking from plastics, especially those marked PC or #7
- Eliminate sugar and artificial sweeteners from your foods
- Take lots of fermented foods and drinks