Ever wondered why do some people bleed more than the others when it comes to a normal bruising? It all depends on the clotting ability of the blood.
This, in turn, is determined by the count of platelets that you have in your body. Hence, it is important to maintain a healthy count of blood platelets. We shall discover more about this in the article that follows.
What are Blood Platelets?
Platelets are nothing but the blood cells that help the blood to clot in an efficient manner. It is because of the clotting that the blood platelets do, that the wound in the body are easily healed and the blood stops flowing after some time.
Had it not been for your blood platelets, you would have experienced bleeding gums, bleeding wounds, a lot of fatigue in the body on an ongoing basis.
Reasons and Factors That Lead to Low Platelet Count
Various factors that lead to a low platelet count in human beings include the following:
- The problem can be caused due to certain infections that might have affected your body.
- Diseases such as Spleen enlargement, diseases of the liver all can lead to the problem of low platelet count in the blood
- Problems with the immunity system of the body can also cause the problem
- If you intake too much of alcohol, there are various chances that you will end up having the problem of low platelet count in your blood.
Signs and Symptoms of Low Blood Platelet Count?
- Heavy bleeding in the nose and gums
- Blood in the excreta
- Bleeding from the wound is also frantic and takes a lot of time to heal.
How to Increase Blood Platelet Count Naturally?
- Include Vitamin A in your Diet: When you intake vitamin A, it helps a great deal in increasing the formation of protein in the body. This, in turn, helps to improve the count of blood platelets. Some of the foods that you should include in your diet for this purpose include carrots, kale, and others.
- Like the above point, eating vitamin K to a recommended levels also helps to increase the blood platelets count. Vitamin K rich foods help to improve the formation of cell in the body. Some of the foods that are rich in the vitamin include kale, green leafy vegetables, and others.
- Another important mineral that the body needs in abundance is iron. Iron facilitates healthy growth of cells in the body which, in turn, helps improve the count of your blood platelets. Some of the iron-rich foods include pomegranate, various types of lentils, amongst a host of others.
- Including sesame oil in your diet goes along way in improving the natural count of blood platelets. Not only does it help to reduce the inflammatory damages but also the formation of free radicals are reduced. It also helps in the improvement of smooth blood circulation. Additionally, there are various ways in which the oil can be used. You can use it for cooking or you can drink it twice a day for best results. In fact, just rubbing a good quality sesame oil externally in the body shall help you a great deal in reducing the problem of low platelet count
- Another wonder food that helps in improving the count of blood platelets is papaya which can be had in both its fruit form as well as the leaves are considered healthy. You can boil the leaves in water and use the same for drinking at least twice a day.
- Including food that is rich in folate as well as B9 goes a long way in helping to improve the blood platelet count of your body. Spinach, Asparagus are some of the best foods to be included in the diet for this purpose.
- Vitamin B-12 is also an important vitamin that helps you a great deal in improving the blood platelet countto a great extent. Some major food source from where you can get vitamin B-12 includes egg, clams, dairy products amongst others
- Wheatgrass, when combined with a few drops of lemon,goes a long way in helping to improve the blood platelets count that might have dropped
- Not drinking enough water can also lead to a decrease in the total platelets count. So, you have to drink the recommended 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. For this, you, however, need to remember that drinking cold water shall do more harm than improving your platelets count. You have to drink water that is pure and is available at the normal room temperature.
- Exercise and physical activity have always been recommended for all types of disease and for making you healthy.The problem of low blood platelet count is no different and the right type of exercise will help you achieve your goal.
- When you have low blood platelet count, it is highly recommended that you avoid eating raw and uncooked vegetables. You should instead go for the steamed vegetables as raw vegetables tend to be harmful to your intestines.
- You should also avoid drinking tonic water when you have the problem of low blood platelet count in your body.
- Small things like sleeping well also matters. No matter what you eat and what external medications that you take, without enough sleep of around 7 to 8 hours, blood platelets count cannot improve. So, make it a point to sleep soundly and for enough time.
- Avoid drinking alcohol to the maximum possible extent
- Other food items that should completely be avoided if you want your blood platelet count to improve include tahini, cranberry juice, and others.
Thus, the above are some of the natural ways in which you can increase the count of blood platelets to a great extent.