Some people believe that humans in our generation are self-obsessed because we can not stop taking selfies. Now, who doesn’t want to reveal those pearly whites teeth in that new selfie that is insta good? I don’t know about you, but I want people to look at my smile and notice how clean my teeth are.
Aesthetic aside, oral health is very important. Nobody wants to seat close to that person who has a smelling mouth, or has plaques decorating his or her teeth.
The importance of good oral health can never be over emphasised if we must maintain good breath, avoid gum diseases, and tooth decay. Poor oral hygiene is not only linked to different mouth diseases; it can also be a cause of heart disease as weird as that may sound.
A link between gum inflammation and Alzheimer’s disease was also discovered by a team of researchers from New York University in 2010. Researchers from Harvard University have also drawn a connection between gum diseases and pancreatic cancer.
How are plaques formed?
Sometimes we imagine how plaques show up all-of-a-sudden. Well, these ugly looking guys do not just spring up overnight. They are a collection of food by-products mixed with bacterias that have stored up in your gum lines and hardened with time. Plaques most times end up becoming tartar which is a severe condition that leads to gum diseases and inflammation.
Tartar happened as a result of poor oral hygiene over a very long period of time. So if you do not brush your teeth at least once daily for a period of one month, you just might be susceptible to this bad oral condition. The fear of tartar should be enough motivation for anyone to take care of their oral health. It doesn’t take much to brush your teeth morning and night.
What are the easiest ways you can take care of your oral health?
There are so many ways to take care of your mouth, most of which you already know. But for the sake of those who want to be reminded I will be listing some easy ways to take care of your mouth before I finally share with you some mixtures that will help you get rid of plaques without having to visit the dentist.
1. Some people believe that using a hard toothbrush is the easiest way to get rid of debris from your mouth. However, it is advised that you use a soft bristle toothbrush to brush your teeth morning and night every day; that way you do not get to injure your gum.
2. you can also purchase a battery operated an electric toothbrush as they work wonderfully well to help with cleaning your mouth.
3. how you handle your toothbrush is also important. Make sure that you hold your brush at a slight angle towards the area where your teeth and gum line meets. Brush both inside and outside your teeth and pay close attention to the chewing area and also your tongue.
4. After brushing your teeth, rinse your toothbrush correctly and avoid covering it to prevent bacteria build-up. Sometimes people advise covering toothbrushes to prevent insects and other bacterias from getting into it. However, it is essential that your toothbrush is aired before you cover it if you must.
5. How long should you use your toothbrush? Make sure that you change your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months if you decide to change it every month it is ok as well.
Do not forget that flossing your teeth regularly is also very important. If you are one of those people who does not like to use chemical products, you can turn to natural alternatives for your oral hygiene. Some people use baking soda, charcoal, or even chewing sticks to keep their mouths clean.
You can use any of the four natural Solutions I’m about to discuss to promote your oral health. The good part is that you do not have to spend too much to get these mixtures done.
First recipe: If you’re tired of using store-bought toothpaste you can make your own natural toothpaste by combining seven tablespoons of coconut oil, the same quantity of baking soda, one teaspoon of any essential oil that you like, and 1 and 1/2 tbsp of Stevia. You can decide to make a small quantity of this toothpaste anytime you want to brush your mouth, or you can make as much as you want and store in an airtight container.
Recipe two: coconut oil works as a fantastic mouthwash just in case you’re tired of buying those expensive bottles of chemical-filled mouthwashes. All you have to do is take a generous quantity of coconut oil and swish it in your mouth for about 15 to 20 minutes before spitting it out what this coconut oil will do is to help whiten your teeth and keep your mouth clean.
Recipe three: Get a glass of water and mix a few drops each of mint oil, anise, and lemon oil. Use the mixture to rinse your mouth four times every day and watch, and it helps you get rid of stubborn plaques.
Recipe four: Boil two cups of water add one cup of rosemary and one cup of fresh mint to the water, then set aside for 15 minutes and allow the water to be cold once the water is cold enough for you to put in your mouth rinse your mouth with it three times daily.
Even though it is imperative to practice dental hygiene by washing your mouth with mouthwash and brushing your teeth every day it is also essential that you know the kinds of foods that promote the formation of plaques and avoid them.
Potato chips, carbonated drinks, and citrus fruits all have adverse effects on your teeth, so it is better that you avoid them or brush your teeth immediately after consuming them. Alcohol also is not healthy if you must maintain good oral health.
One other thing that a lot of people do not remember to do is to rinse their mouth after eating bread or sour candy. These foods can all cause plaques.