Instead of using professional treatment and market products, you can use regular home remedies to eliminate the itchiness from your scalp.
Home remedies can help you relieve your itchy scalp but you should know the cause of your itchiness before using home remedies.
Some of the home remedies for itchy scalp include;
Listerine is used as a mouthwash because of its antimicrobial and antiseptic nature. It keeps the oral area gem free. The properties can also be used to relieve dandruff and scalp itchiness.
All you need to do is
- Add half a cup of Listerine into a half cup of water.
- Apply this to your scalp and massage for a minute.
- Leave it for about five minutes then rinse thoroughly.
You can use Listerine for twice in a week, however, if you have any open wounds on your scalp, do not use Listerine.
2. Jojoba oil
Jojoba oil alleviates the itchiness by hydrating and healing the scalp. Our skin absorbs jojoba oil very easily and it also makes your hair soft and shiny. All you need is do is
- Massage jojoba oil into your scalp and hair.
- Leave it on overnight and
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo in the morning.
Jojoba oil should be applied twice in a week.
3. Peppermint Oil for Itchy scalp
This can be effective in soothing the scalp which calms down the itching and also reducing dandruff.
- Dilute the peppermint oil with castor, olive or jojoba oil
- Massage it into the scalp before shampooing.
You can also use peppermint tea to rinse after using shampoo.
4. Witch Hazel for Itchy Scalp
Witch hazel is an antibacterial and astringent, it minimises the inflammation on the scalp and treats the infection. All you need to do is
- Mix one part of witch hazel oil in two parts of water
- Apply it to your scalp with your fingers.
- Massage it for one or two minutes.
- Leave to sit for ten minutes then rinse off.
Apply this once in every three to four days.
5. Onion Juice for Itchy Scalp
The antimicrobial and anitoxidant qualities of onions will reduce the inflammation, and help maintain a healthy – infection free – scalp.
- Peel one small onion and grate
- Extract the juice and apply evenly on the scalp using a cotton ball or soft fabric.
- Leave to sit for twenty to thirty minutes and rinse off with shampoo.
Repeat the procedure once every week.
6. Argan Oil for Itchy Scalp
Argan oil has moisturizing and nourishing properties which makes it a favourite among hair experts. It can also be used in treating psoriasis.
Argan oil should be used at least once a week.
- Apply and gently massage argan oil on the scalp for a couple of minutes.
- You can leave to sit overnight and rinse your hair in the morning.
7. Lavender and Eucalyptus Oil for Itchy Scalp
This oil combination leaves your hair solft and silky, while alleviating the itchiness on your scalp.
You will need one teaspoon of
- Eucalyptus oil
- Lavender oil
- Coconut Oil
- Mix the oils together
- Apply the mixture on the affected area using cotton wool or a soft fabric
- Leave to sit for an hour before washing off.
You should do this once or twice a week for maximum effect.
8. Aloe vera for Itchy Scalp
Aloe Vera gel is a natural moisturizer. It is the perfect cure for itchy scalp of dandruff. This is so because it has soothing and antimicrobial properties.
All you need to do is;
- Remove the gel from the aloe vera leaf and apply it directly to your scalp.
- Leave it for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water so the aloe vera can wash off easily.
You can do this once or twice a week.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar cleanses the scalp and acts as an astringent. The malic acid present in ACV has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties and will also remove all the dead cells from the scalp that have piled up and are causing itchiness.
Apple Cider Vinegar also rebalances the pH of the scalp.
Mix the apple cider vinegar with water and massage this mixture on your scalp to cure the itching. Repeat this process twice a week.
10. Neem Oil for Itchy Scalp
- Add six to eight drops of neem oil to two tablespoons of coconut oil and mix.
- Apply it on the scalp and leave it for about 15 minutes and
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo.
You can do this two times or three times in a week for quick relief from the itchy scalp.
11. Warm Olive Oil
Warm olive oil can be applied to the scalp because it can help to soften and loosen itchy scales on the skin surface. You should heat the olive oil a little before applying it to the scalp and massaging it into the skin.
You can leave the olive oil for some hours before washing it out with a medicated shampoo such as coal tar.
12. Organic Coconut Oil
It contains saturated fats that have antimicrobial properties and it also contains Lauric acid. Lauric acid helps the skin to absorb coconut oil. This makes it a soothing treatment for itchy scalp.
13. Lemon Juice for Itchy Scalp
Lemon juice is a natural antimicrobial because of phytochemicals and acids present in it. The phytochemicals also have an anti-inflammatory effect when lemon juice is applied on the scalp.
But lemon juice does not have to be used in excess because it can lighten your hair colour.
All you have to do is apply lemon juice all over your scalp with cotton wool, leave to sit for five to ten minutes and then rinse with water.
You should do this not more than twice a week.
14. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antifungal, antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. It is an essential oil that can be purchased from online stores and other on-ground stores.
You can add 10 to 20 drops of tea tree oil to a gentle shampoo or mix it with olive oil and massage it directly into your scalp.
Tea tree oil can help kill or reduce itching that is associated with head lice, dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, but it should never be ingested.
15. Chamomile Spray
Chamomile spray has been used for centuries to treat hair ailments and inflammation and it also soothes an itchy scalp.
All you need is two cups of boiling water and a handful of chamomile flowers.
add chamomile flower to boiling water and allow the mixture to boil until the colour changes before turning off the stove.
After that, allow the chamomile serum to cool down then you filter the serum into a clean spray bottle refrigerate.
Spray it into your scalp whenever it starts itching for instant relief.
Meditation is an activity that reduces stress and can be effective for killing itchy scalp caused by anxiety. It can also help with itching that is caused by eczema.
Meditation can be done alone or you can try it with other itchy scalp remedies.
You can try listening to a meditation tape or check online for meditation lessons if you are new to meditation.
17. Baking Soda for Itchy Scalp
Baking soda is an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent. It kills the harmful microbes on the scalp that cause itchiness.
It also soothes the skin and neutralizes the pH. All you have to do is make a paste with baking soda and water.
Apply the paste on the scalp and leave it for ten to fifteen minutes, then rinse it off. You can also repeat the process after a few days if necessary.
Itchy scalp is a common problem with a variety of causes. You can find relief to you itchy scalp by trying out one or two home remedies.
See your health care provider immediately if the itchiness persists after home treatment.
A doctor will help identify the underlying cause of the itchiness and may prescribe medications to treat symptoms.