Bad breath or halitosis is an embarrassing condition that can make you feel less confident in work and life. In fact, there are many reasons that can cause this problem such as sinus diseases, gum condition, medical problems, dry mouth, smoking, odorous foods, improper tooth brushing, etc.
This bad issue can be treated by natural ways and you should read this article thoroughly to find out the best solutions for your bad breath problem.
Top 12 Natural Home Remedies For Bad Breath
Fennel is a great ingredient for your health and your bad breath problem. Fennel can control the issue due to its antimicrobial property that can kill bacteria in the mouth. In addition, fennel is often used to deal with indigestion, anemia, and constipation. It is also useful for improving heart health, and treating blood pressure problems. Here are some ways to get rid of bad breath with fennel:
– Way 1: You can chew some fennel every day to encourage saliva production.
– Way 2: you can also steep some teaspoons of fennel seeds in a glass of hot water for 10 minutes. Drink the tea several times per day for a better result.
Cinnamon includes cinnamic aldehyde, which can reduce bad breath and fight against the bacteria in the mouth. This ingredient can also help you to control blood sugar, Candida yeast, upset stomach, and osteoporosis. Besides, many people use cinnamon for losing weight, treating gum disease, and reducing stress. Here are some simple steps to deal with bad breath using cinnamon:
- Firstly, you boil a cup of water and add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder into it.
- You can add bay leaves into the mixture.
- You strain and rinse your mouth to refresh your breath.
- Make sure that you do it every day to have the faster result.
Fenugreek tea is a kind of plant and its seeds are used in processing medicine. This ingredient is also used to deal with appetite loss, constipation, upset stomach, gastritis, high blood pressure, coughs, diabetes, etc. In addition, you can use it to treat bad breath with the following direction:
- Now you add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a glass of boiling water.
- You strain and drink the tea every day until your problem is reduced.
Cloves have antibacterial property that can be helpful to reduce bad breath. This is also a good ingredient to get better digestion, fight bacteria, protect liver, control diabetes, improve the immune system, and relieve a headache attack. To deal with your bad breath condition, you can apply some following methods:
– Method 1: You just need to eat some pieces of cloves every day and it will remove your bad breath problem in some minutes.
– Method 2: You can drink tea by boiling a glass of water with a teaspoon of cloves for 10 minutes. You strain and drink the tea twice daily.
Parsley is a kind of plant that comes from Algeria, Tunisia, and Italy. This herb was cultivated for many years ago, and it has a lot of vital nutrients for health such as vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin B, calcium, folates, choline, manganese, magnesium, zinc, copper, potassium, etc. This herb is widely used to treat arthritis and osteoporosis, and improve the immune system. Parsley has chlorophyll that can neutralize your bad breath problem and here are some solutions you can apply at home with parsley:
– Method 1: You just chew some fresh parsley to refresh your mouth. You should apply this remedy each day to get the best result.
– Method 2: Another way is to sip the parsley juice to reduce your bad breath condition. This treatment also helps you improve digestion very well.
Lemon juice is one of the most effective home remedies for bad breath due to the acidic found in lemon. Lemon is easy to find in every market and it is familiar to housewives. Actually, you can use lemon juice in taking care of the skin, hair, and health including bad breath. This fruit can prevent the development of bacteria in the mouth, and fight off the bad odor in the mouth caused by bacteria. Here are some simple steps to reduce bad breath condition using lemon juice:
- You put some teaspoons of lemon juice in a glass of water.
- Next, you rinse the mouth with the juice and you can add some salt to gargle.
- This treatment can treat dry mouth, which causes bad breath. You should be sure that you apply this method daily for the better results.
- You can also use lemon juice to prevent bad breath from coming back again.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can balance pH level and it is very helpful for bad breath condition. Have you ever heard about benefits of apple cider vinegar? Reasons you should use apple cider vinegar every day are detoxifying your body, removing stains in teeth, soothing sunburn, balancing pH level, losing weight, and balancing the inner system. You can also use apple cider vinegar to treat heartburn and Candida yeast, and refresh the room. You can apply some home remedies for bad breath with apple cider vinegar as below:
- Stir a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water and drink it before the meal.
- This ingredient can aid the digestion and treat bad breath effectively.
- You can mix some apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Then, you gargle with the mixture every day until your problem is solved.
Baking soda is another good solution for treating bad breath as it can balance the acid level. Additionally, baking soda can fight off the oral bacteria that contribute to bad breath condition. Here are the solutions for bad breath in adults:
- Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water.
- Rinse the mouth every day to get the best result.
- Brush the teeth every day with baking soda to reduce the acids in the mouth.
- Do it every day to get rid of bad breath.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil includes antiseptic property and it acts like a disinfectant for the mouth. Women also use tea tree oil to cure acne, eczema, psoriasis, ringworm, fungus, cuts, infections, and so on. You can get the benefit from tea tree oil as the following direction:
Method 1: You can choose the toothpaste including tea tree oil.
Method 2: You can add some drops of tea tree oil in the toothbrush to brush the teeth every day.
Method 3: You can mix lemon oil, peppermint oil, and tea tree oil in a cup of water and wash the mouth daily.
Tea is a natural herb that can eliminate the bad breath condition very well due to the polyphenols antioxidant found in it. Both black and green tea can stop the bacterial growth that causes bad breath. In addition, there are a lot of reasons in order to drink a cup of tea every day. For example, tea can decrease the risk of heart attack, boost up the endurance, prevent cancer, inhibit free radicals, keep the body hydrated, reduce the risk of Parkinson’s disease, limit sun expose, manage diabetes, strengthen your bone, etc. You can opt for sage tea or make it by yourself as the following way to deal with bad breath.
- You steep a teaspoon of sage in a glass of hot water for 5 minutes.
- Now you strain and drink the tea daily to freshen your mouth.
- Drinking 2-3 times each day, and you will get rid of bad breath quickly and naturally.
Drinking a lot of water will be helpful for treating the bad breath condition. Dehydration is one of the most common reasons of the bad breath, so you should drink enough water (at least 8 glasses of water every day) to clean up your mouth and avoid the dry mouth condition that creates the odor in your mouth.
Water is the cheapest natural ingredient for bad breath. By drinking fresh water every day, you not only get rid of bad breath, but you also improve your health overall. If you were lazy to drink water previously, now you could start drinking it in the morning and drink it enough during the day to keep you energetic, as well as remove the bad breath problem.
Zinc deficiency can lead to halitosis or bad breath, so increasing the intake of zinc through meals is the best way to keep the bacteria-free and clean mouth. There are some products containing zinc, so you can consult your doctor about those products before using them.
Zinc-rich foods include gourd seeds, pumpkin seeds, cacao, and organ meats. Zinc deficiency also links to inflammation, immunity, and poor quality. As the result, you cannot ignore zinc in meals. Moreover, the zinc supplement is also a good choice; however, you must ask your doctor before using any supplement.
After reading the article about top 12 home remedies for bad breath in adults, I hope that you have learned some useful ways to get rid of your bad breath condition, and get more confidence in life. You can choose some of those solutions to resolve your actual problem naturally and permanently. If you have any question, please leave your comments below.
Huyen my is a Vietnamese-American author and MA in English literature. She is a health article writer who has written numerous articles/online journals on natural health and home remedies. To know more about her, please visit her personal website at Effective Remedies or Effective Remedies Facebook.