Most people appear much older than their actual chronological age. Many young adults in their early 30’s start looking more than 40. Aging is a natural process and signs of aging first appear on your face and body. The aging process cannot be stopped but you can prevent or treat early signs of aging with treatments. It is a very common affair to see people suffering from early signs of aging due to various lifestyle factors.
It is a common phenomenon in the medical world and newer treatments are being introduced every day for reducing signs of aging. There are more than 60% of young adults in the world who face early signs of aging. Hence many aspiring medical students choose dermatology from the wide array of specializations in the medical careers list as skin treatments are rising in demand today, especially the treatments for anti-aging. Newer treatments have shown amazing effects as one can get the glowing, smooth and wrinkle-free skin.
The major signs of aging
The major signs of aging which are quite visible to the eyes include:
- Agingspots– The cells of the skin get pigmented and it multiplies and many such clusters form together which appear as visible spots on the face and hands.
- Saggingskin– The skin loses its elasticity as one advance in age. The skin starts to sag over time and this is the most visible sign of aging.
- Dulllookingskin– The skin is exposed to pollutants continuously. The dead skin accumulates and the face starts looking dull. The skin also loses its brightness and youthful look.
- Linesandwrinklesontheface– It is the most visible sign of aging. As one’s age advances, the skin starts to lose its elasticity, moisture, and collagen. These lead to the appearance of wrinkles on the face, especially near the eyes and mouth.
- Extremelydryskin– The Skin starts to lose its natural moisture as one age. The top layer of the skin starts to dry out quickly. On top of that, too much exposure to the sun also increases sun damage and increases the dryness of the skin.
- Qualityofskinbecomesthinandfragile– There are three layers to our skin and the lowest layer of our skin is known as the epidermis. As one advance in age, the epidermis of the skin also slows down the production of new cells. This process leads to skin becoming very thin and leads to the formation of wrinkles on the face especially forehead and cheeks.
- Skinbruiseseasily– The blood vessels of the skin becomes quite weak as one grows in age. The weak blood vessels make the skin quite fragile and prone to more bruises which heals quite slowly.
What are the causes of premature aging?
The early signs of aging are mostly caused by bad lifestyle. These includes:
- Intake of junk food
The major reason behind the appearance of faster signs of aging is the intake of food high in sugar content and oily junk food. People mostly prefer outside food nowadays rather than home food and replacement of these wrong food items has led to nutritional deficiencies. The wrong diet leads to faster signs of aging.
- Exercises are not an integral part of the modern lifestyle
Exercising should be an integral part of our lives which not only keeps us fit by toning our muscles but improves blood circulation which plays a key role in the maintenance of healthy skin. Young adults nowadays do not give such importance to daily exercise and it leads to faster aging.
- Inadequate sleep
Sleep is essential to repair skin. An adequate amount of sleep helps to enhance the health of the skin and slows down visible signs of aging. If you do not get adequate sleep then you are giving way to faster aging to come upon you faster which will first reflect on the face and then the body.
Alcohol is usually consumed for the purpose of relaxation and enjoyment. Some indulge in alcohol to battle stress. Whatever be the reason the skin is highly affected by excessive alcohol intake. The alcohol snatches the skin of the essential Vitamin A which is an extremely important antioxidant for the revival of the skin. Young adults are indulging in too much alcohol nowadays for pleasure leading to faster signs of aging.
If you think smoking a cigarette for pleasure or as a fashion is great, think again. Young adults are smoking for a fashion statement and they do not realize that smoking a cigarette causes not only significant damage to their health but affects the skin adversely to a large extent.
- Stress is an integral factor which affects skin quality
Stress is a common phenomenon of this generation. Stress forms an invariable part of all metropolitan lifestyles. When there is too much stress, it weakens the immune system of an individual and pulls the muscles of the face. The stress and anxiety start to appear on your face through visible signs of aging such as black sports under the eye, wrinkles, puffed eyes, and pigmentation.
- Water is essential for good skin health
As we all know our body is made of 70% water, so obviously lack of water affects our health and skin too. To get healthy, glowing and youthful looking skin it is important to keep the skin hydrated with adequate intake of water.
- Hormonal imbalance
Hormone misbalance is one of the major reasons behind faster aging. The endocrine system of the humans is responsible for the control of the hormones which becomes quite less efficient in functioning as one advances in age. This leads to visible signs of aging to appear on the skin. Younger individuals who have a dysfunctional endocrinal system starts showing premature aging signs.
There are many anti-aging treatments coming up in the market and can be taken to reverse signs of aging. Anti-aging treatments are both surgical and non-surgical. Every treatment has its own pros and cons. These treatments do show some effects as one can get the glowing, smooth and wrinkle-free skin.