Every woman strives to have curves in all the right places. But due to genetics and other external factors that can affect overall body shape, some women must double their efforts to achieve the elusive hourglass figure.
There are many clothing styles to clinch this body shape, which emphasize vital areas like the shoulders, waist, and hips. But to make the look more permanent, there are a number of techniques that can sculpt and tone the body.
Exercise, Exercise, Exercise!
There is no better technique to contour the body naturally than to sweat it out through exercise. But for this method to be downright effective, one must be committed to continuing their workout routine after the desired figure is attained.
When exercising, include toning exercises that focus on the key areas (shoulders, waist, and buttocks) that can shape the body into an hourglass. Consider the following activities:
- Glute Workouts – One of the highlights of an hourglass body is a rounded bottom aside from the hips. Incorporate an exercise routine that is glute-dominant such as walking lunges, single leg squats, leg press, step ups, and stiff leg deadlifts. Make sure to compress the glute muscles, and not the quads, during movements.
- Broaden the Lat (Latissimus dorsi) Muscles – Developing the upper body muscles will provide a fine V shape to the body, creating an illusion of a slender waist. Do some lat pull-ups, assisted pull-ups, dumbbell pullovers, and regular pull up exercises to enhance lat muscles.
- Perform isometric ab exercises – To target the midsection, avoid doing weighted side bends because it might lead to the thickening of the waist, giving a boxy appearance than curvy. Instead, do isometric ab exercises such as planks, side planks, and isometric push-ups.
Always remember to engage in full body conditioning before working out. It lowers the risk of excessive muscle enlargement, particularly of the upper arms and thighs. Likewise, train wisely, making sure that all essential body parts are equally worked out.
Eat smart, Eat right
Sculpting the body is not entirely possible through workout alone. Eating the right type of food always goes hand-in-hand with any exercise regimen and vice versa.
To get an hourglass figure, aside from working out, include the following food in your daily diet:
- Whole grains like cereals, wheat bread, whole-wheat pasta, oatmeal, and brown rice. These foods have a low glycemic index and are high in protein and fiber, making one feel satiated for longer periods.
- Fish such as salmon and tuna, which has omega-3 fatty acids is an excellent source of lean protein that can aid in losing overall body fat while lowering blood sugar levels. Just make sure to cook it by steaming or grilling instead of frying.
- Almonds and similar nuts can help in maintaining a healthy weight. They are rich in protein, magnesium, fiber, Vitamin E, and unsaturated fatty acids.
- Non-starchy vegetables like broccoli is a good source of fiber, potassium, Vitamin A and K, and folate. These kinds of vegetable aid in stabilizing the release of insulin, which controls how the body stores fat.
Additionally, avoid consuming processed food such as hamburgers, fries, bacon, red meat, and other items with a high saturated fat content. Limit the intake of sugar and salt as excess sugar in the blood leads to the body storing fat, while too much salt can lead to excess water retention, which bloats the body.
You should never starve yourself to lose weight. It is advisable to eat at least five small meals a day to prevent your metabolism from slowing down and storing fat. Your body fat is a mechanism to conserve energy in case you don’t eat or skip a meal during the day.
Consider Body Contouring Procedures
Body contouring procedures are another option if one desires to achieve that hourglass figure. They can outright sculpt the body or enhance the shape of the body after consistent exercise and diet. Body contouring procedures work better when combined and maintained through good lifestyle habits, prolonging their effect and making the outcome more satisfying.
The following procedures can be considered if one opts to shape their body to an hourglass figure:
- Liposuction – A popular procedure that can help define the waist by eliminating excess fat deposit in the midsection. It slims down the waist relative to the upper body and hips, creating that hourglass shape. It can also be combined with fat transfer procedures such as the Brazilian butt lift and Breast Augmentation. The harvested fat after liposuction can be transferred to add volume in the breasts and buttocks. CoolSculpting, moreover, is a nonsurgical alternative for this procedure, especially if there is less fat is to eliminate from the body.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) – reshapes the midsection and the flanks (love handles that extends to the hips and back). It involves correcting skin and muscle laxity, making the treatment areas aesthetically slimmer, and accentuating the upper and lower body like that in an hourglass body.
- Breast Augmentation Implants – breast enhancement procedure using implants that aims to increase the size and shape of the breast. It enhances the chest curves and highlights the upper body to emphasize the waist, making it look narrower especially with shapelier hips and buttocks.
Be wise and committed…
In aiming for an hourglass body shape through diet and exercise, the important thing to remember is to train wisely and to stay committed to maintaining the routines, and the lifestyle that has been established. That way, the outcome can be satisfying, rewarding, and long-lasting.
And in instances where there’s still room for improvements through contouring procedures, don’t hesitate to consult your plastic surgeon to know your options. With their knowledge and training in shaping and enhancing the body, they can provide expert recommendations that can make any lifestyle-induced hourglass figure more aesthetically pleasing and more worth the hard work and sacrifice.