Gel nails are a big trend this season. They not only look chic and stylish but also don’t wear off easily. However if you are sporting them, you must be aware of how difficult they are to remove.
While it is best to visit a salon or a nail technician to get them removed, sometimes you may not have the time or money to do so. That is why we have come up with an easy DIY to help you peel your gel nails at home by using very few simple ingredients that you can buy from a drugstore.
This method does not damage your natural nails, preserves the beauty of your nails and saves you a good deal of money. So let’s get down to the steps-
Things you will need: nail file, cotton balls, acetone, foil, cuticle pusher, buffer, nail strengthener, cuticle oil.
- Take a nail file and start by breaking the seal of your gel and removing the shininess. Be gentle while filing and work on the entire surface carefully without missing any corners.
- Apply petroleum jelly on the skin around your nails and the edge of your nails to prevent the acetone from harming your skin.
- Take cotton balls for each nail and dip them in an acetone filled bowl. But before dipping, place the bowl of acetone in a bigger bowl containing warm water to make the acetone work faster.
- Now take the acetone soaked cotton ball and place them on the nails. Wrap each nail with foil. Let your nails soak in the acetone for 10-15 minutes.
- Once it is time to remove the foil, press down on top of the nail and slowly pull the foil off, taking most of the gel polish off with it.
- After you push away these foils, take your manicure and pedicure tools like a cuticle pusher, cuticle stick (either wooden or metal) or orange wood stick, press on the nail and push. Scrape off the gel gently. If some of the gel refuses to come off, repeat the same process again. But this time keep the acetone on for only five minutes. Once this is done, you will find that the entire gel has come off.
- Now that the gel is removed, take a nail buffer and buff your nails to make them smooth. Don’t forget to wash your hands after the procedure is complete. Apply a nail strengthener and cuticle oil on your nails thereafter. They will protect your nails and make the effects of the acetone less harsh.
Be very gentle while removing the gel nails because aggressive pulling can make the top layer of your natural nail to fall off.
After successfully removing your gel nails, you will be left behind with sensitive and weak nails due to the acetone that need some extra nourishment.
Keep applying the nail strengthener and cuticle oil for a week and steer clear of gel nails for at least a week or two. Sport those stylish gel nails but don’t forget to pamper your nails too!