Your smile is one of the most important features that you possess. It acts as a visible introduction that often provides a memorable first impression. For this reason, it is important to make sure your smile is everything you desire.
For those that have a gummy smile, you may feel uncomfortable or self-conscious. With cosmetic dentistry, there are ways to effectively correct this common condition so that you can smile with confidence.
What is a Gummy Smile?
A gummy smile is characterized by the excess exposure of the gum line when a person smiles. This occurs due to several factors which include:
- Excess gum tissue
- The size and length of the teeth
- Overall dental development
- The positioning of the upper jaw and teeth in relationship to the jaw
- The size and the natural movement of the upper lip
It is important to seek the assistance of a qualified dental professional such as Dr. Lazare for cosmetic dentistry in New York to determine the cause of your gummy smile.
Fixing these dental issues will give you a more aesthetically pleasing smile, and in some cases, improve your long-term oral health.
Treatments for a Gummy Smile
There are several treatments for a gummy smile. A qualified dental professional can perform a thorough dental examination to determine why your gum line is prominent when you smile.
The following are some effective cosmetic dentistry treatments for a gummy smile.
- Orthodontics – This method is preferred for cases where excess gum exposure is due to the position of the jaws and/or teeth. Braces help to adjust the bite so that the gums appear less obvious. Temporary anchorage devices (TADs) are often used in conjunction with the braces as a barrier to ensure proper alignment.
- Gingivectomy – With this procedure, the extra gum tissue is removed and reshaped to increase teeth exposure and improve the appearance of the smile line.
- Laser gum reshaping- Lasers are used to remove gum tissue around the teeth without invasive surgery.
- Crown lengthening – This option is done when teeth have not fully erupted creating a smile where the gums are more obvious than the teeth. The procedure involves removing gum tissue and re-positioning bone so that there is more of the teeth exposed. In the healing process, the gums will naturally retract to their natural position.
- Veneers and/or crowns – Obtaining a brand new smile with veneers or crowns will make your teeth appear longer, and balance out the appearance of the gums and teeth to achieve less gum exposure.
- Orthognathic surgery – This is a comprehensive procedure that combines surgery with orthodontic treatment (braces) to produce amazing results. Clients receive orthodontic treatment in the form of braces for a specified time. This is followed by upper jaw surgery where the jaw is moved into its ideal position and locked into place with plates and screws. After jaw surgery, a final round of orthodontic treatment is used to secure the bite and ensure a beautiful smile.
Seeking Cosmetic Dentistry for a Gummy Smile
In general, most people seek the correction of a gummy smile for cosmetic purposes.
A gummy smile carries few health concerns unless it is associated with possible dental issues such as shorter teeth due to teeth grinding (bruxism) or a misalignment of the jaw which can cause bite issues that impact everything from eating to speech difficulties.
Effective treatments and cosmetic solutions for a gummy smile are contingent on determining the cause of this common condition.
If you are considering cosmetic dentistry in New York to fix your gummy smile, the assistance of a highly-trained, reputable dentist is a must. Dr. Marc Lazare, known as the “Dentist to the Stars,” is an experienced dentist providing a variety of options to fix your gummy smile.
Whether you are considering laser gum reshaping or one of the oral surgery options, Dr. Lazare and his dental team provide exceptional dental services with compassion and care.
In addition to cosmetic dental services, he provides general dentistry services to include teeth whitening, periodontics, and pediatric and elder dentistry.
Dr. Lazare’s office assists with preventative dental care as well as the diagnosis and treatment of oral problems such as canker and cold sores, tooth sensitivity, oral cancer screening, and emergency dental concerns in his New York City-based practice.
You’ll feel welcomed at the state-of-the-art dental office that features a relaxing environment to take away the anxiety that is often associated with dental appointments.
You will receive the delivery of exceptional dental care with the latest in high-tech sterilization and dental office equipment. With a concierge service in place to ensure the comfort of patients, you can expect exceptional service from Dr. Lazare and his team of dental professionals.
For more information about Dr. Lazare and his dental practice, contact (212) 861-2599.