According to pediatric providers and family physicians, a cough which is caused by upper respiratory tract infection (URI) is the most common health problem they experience. A cough may lead to disruptive sleep and frustration. During the absence of an effective antiviral cure for the URI, parents usually try to find other natural remedies that effectively cure a cough and honey is a treatment that always comes to their mind.
Why Does Honey Good For Cough?
Penn State College of Medicine carried out a study about honey and found that honey was proved to be very good for a cough. It can suppress a cough more effectively than some over-the-counter drugs. It is described as the rich demulcent with stickiness and high viscosity that can coat the irritated mucous membranes perfectly. In addition, the enzyme of bees which is added when they collect honey also contains antibacterial properties.
Therefore, this thick syrup coat can soothe a sore throat while the sweetness can build up salivation to reduce the urge for a cough and thin the mucus. Moreover, honey also helps get rid of the harmful cough-causing bacteria and prevent a future cough. Below are Top 10 Effective Ways On How To Use Honey For Cough Relief.
- 1 tablespoon of organic or raw honey
- Take 1 tablespoon of honey 1 to 3 times a day. Repeat as needed in order to control coughing.
- Take immediately prior to bedtime if coughing prevents your sleep.
- As for children, parents can change the dose from 1 tsp. into 1 tbsp.
Honey & Lemon Tonic
Lemon is a citrus fruit. It contains strong antiviral properties and a high dose of vitamin C which boost the immune system. The combination of honey and lemon can create a perfect homemade remedy for a cough.
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 3 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- Mix honey with lemon juice.
- Pour warm water into it and stir until it is mixed completely.
- Take 1 tbsp. of this remedy two times daily for a cough relief.
- Take once in the morning and once before bedtime.
Keep the remaining mixture of honey & lemon in the refrigerator for further uses. It may last for one month.
Honey & Pepper
Black pepper is famous for the world’s most traded spice. However, its use is usually limited to the culinary world. A lot of people don’t aware of the fact that it can also be an effective remedy for coughs. If people accidentally inhale pepper, it will tickle their nose or make them sneeze. This may be disturbing but it will help the nose get rid of the nasty stuff that’s filling up the lungs.
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 8 ounces of fresh water
- Pour honey and pepper in a mug then add boiling water.
- Stir to melt the honey and dissolve the pepper flakes.
- Steep the mixture for 10 minutes and stir again.
- Drink in its entirety.
- Repeat once or twice times a day as needed.
Note: You should use ground black pepper if possible since the pre-ground pepper seems to lose punch.
Make A Cough Syrup With Honey
- 1½ tbsp. of zest of two lemons
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ cup of sliced ginger root or ½ tsp. of ground ginger
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 1 cup of honey
- Put the combination of lemon zest, sliced ginger and 1 cup of water into a small saucepan.
- Boil the mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Clean the pan and pour in 1 cup of honey.
- Put the pan on low heat to warm the honey (Note: Do not boil the honey).
- Add the lemon juice and the strained lemon ginger water.
- Stir the mixture until it turns into a thick form of syrup.
- Pour into a clean jar and close it with a lid. (Note: This can be refrigerated for 2 months.)
- Children ages 1 to 5: ½ to 1 teaspoon every 2 hours.
- Children ages 5 to 12: 1 to 2 teaspoon every 2 hours.
Apple Cider Vinegar & Honey Cough Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- Mix all these ingredients thoroughly
- Take 1 teaspoon at a time every few hours in order to suppress a cough.
Honey & Hot Water
- 2 teaspoon of honey
- A lemon
- A mug of hot water
- Mix the honey with hot water, and then squeeze a wedge of lemon into the mug.
- Stir until the ingredients are completely mixed.
- Sip slowly to soothe a sore throat and prevent your cough.
- Drink every few hours as needed.
Honey, Lemon, & Ginger
It is highly recommended that people should use ginger mixed with honey & lemon in order to treat a severe cough. Ginger is rich in antioxidants, many essential oils, and oleoresin, which is a special cough suppressant.
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. of honey
- 1 tablespoon of ginger root
- 2 cups of water
- Add 2 cups of clean water, lemon juice and ginger to a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to boil and then remove it from the heat.
- Cool it down for 20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and transfer it to a clean glass.
- Pour honey into it and stir well.
- Drink this remedy one time a day till a cough disappears.
Honey, Lemon Juice, & Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains antioxidants, antiviral, & antibacterial properties. It also boosts up immunity, which help to reduce the length & severity of illness.
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 3 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. of coconut oil
- Mix coconut oil, lemon juice, and honey.
- Put the mixture and hit it until the coconut oil melts completely.
- Remember not to boil the mixture.
- Now, turn off the heat before transferring this tonic into a container or glass jar for further uses.
- Take 1 tbsp. of this remedy twice daily.
Note: Coconut oil hardens very quickly, so you need to reheat this mixture before using it.
Honey, Lemon Juice, & Olive Oil
- ¾ cup of raw buckwheat or local honey
- 2 to 4 tbsp. of organic lemon juice
- ¼ cup of virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of sliced onion
- 2 tbsp. of chopped garlic or 1 tbsp. of grated ginger
- Place onion slices and chopped garlic or grated ginger into a clean container.
- Cover with honey and then allow these ingredients to infuse.
- Settle for about 8 hours.
- After that, add olive oil and lemon juice to it.
- Strain this syrup and put in a container.
- Store it in your refrigerator for further uses. When stored in the freezer, it can be used within 4-6 weeks.
- Take 1 tbsp. of this syrup two times a day in order to relieve a cough. You need to warm it again whenever you use it.
Honey, Lemon, & Cinnamon
As you know, cinnamon is a great solution for treating a stubborn cough.
- 3 tbsp. of lemon juice
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon powder
- Mix honey, lemon, & cinnamon powder well in a saucepan.
- Heat the mixture for 30 seconds and then pour water into it.
- Boil it and turn off the heat.
- Cool the mixture down and put it into a glass jar for long-term use.
- Take 2 to e teaspoons of this syrup before bedtime.
Honey includes Clostridium botulinum, a kind of botulism that may result in fatal poisoning in children. Therefore, avoid giving honey to the infants under 1 year old.
If you are coughing up green mucus accompanied by a fever, talk to the healthcare expert. The symptoms may be severe and cause other bad consequences.
In case you are allergic to the honey & lemon juice remedy, you should avoid these ingredients to prevent a gallbladder problem.