Home Parenting Things you Need to be...

Things you Need to be Telling Your OB/GYN

Your OB/GYN isn’t just there to give you your annual exam and birth your babies. Gynecologists are generally underutilized and are trained to treat a wide variety of conditions unique to women.

There are plenty of health conditions that your OB/GYN can treat, so never be embarrassed to talk to them about anything that’s bothering you.

A Sinking Sex Drive

Don’t think it’s just age that’s making you less passionate than you used to be. A low libido is a prime sign of a hormonal problem. Your gynecologist can run a variety of blood work to see if you need a boost in your testosterone or estrogen or if there’s a problem with your thyroid.

If there’s no physical reason, you might be suffering from depression. These are all things your OB/GYN is perfectly capable and willing to treat. Menopausal women are best advised to seek the advice of your gynecologist because they already know your medical history and the current hormone replacement therapy you’re already on.

Bleeding After Sex

If you think this is something you can just let slide, you’re wrong. Your gynecologist can do a thorough pelvic exam to see if there are physical reasons why you might be experiencing pain or bleeding after being intimate.

Cervical dysplasia is a possibility if you’ve had multiple sexual partners, sex before 18, or a past history of STDs. It means your cervix has precancerous changes in its epithelial cells and usually requires cryosurgery to remove them.

Cervical polyps can also cause irritation and bleeding and require a painless removal. Because most of the reasons for post-coital bleeding have to do with a physical change in the cervix or vagina, your gynecologist is the best person to discuss this particular problem with.

Problems with Urination

You don’t have to get a referral to a urologist if you’re suffering from urinary incontinence! It’s usually related to pelvic floor problems where the tissues that are supposed to support the pelvic organs can become damaged or weakened over time, usually because of childbirth or aging.

According to Everyday Health magazine, if you’re leaking urine while you laugh, cough, sneeze, or exercise, your gynecologist can recommend exercises or even surgical options to treat your incontinence. There are also a variety of medications, including hormones, to treat incontinence if necessary.

Skin Conditions

There are plenty of skin conditions that are caused by fluctuating hormones. Acne is a big one. The biggest cause of acne in women is usually hormones and it’s brought on by the start of their period. Another skin condition that’s treated by an OB/GYN is lichen sclerosis.

It usually starts after menopause and affects the vulvar region. White spots appear on the vulva and grow into large patches that can blister. Over time, the skin becomes more fragile and tears easily.

This can be diagnosed in the office upon visual examination but might require biopsies. According to Dr. Thomas at Dallas Obstetrics and Gynecology, It can be treated by an OB/GYN experienced in the condition and it’s treated with strong steroid creams or immune suppressing drugs.

It doesn’t matter whether you think your condition can be treated by an OB/GYN or not, you could be hiding a condition that could easily be treated by your trusted doctor. Don’t be afraid to mention anything that seems off to your gynecologist.

This post was written by a Guest Author. Please see their details in the post above. If you'd like to Contribute towards the growth of Healthtian, please check our Contributor Page for details about how YOU can share your tips with our growing community.

Trending Posts

Getaway Spots in Atlanta that You Just Can’t Miss Out

Do you know what the best part of living in a city full of zestful vibes, cheerful people, and bright sunshine is?  All the...
- Advertisement -

C-section (Cesarean Section): Purpose, Procedure, Risks and More

A C-Section also referred to as cesarean delivery or cesarean section, is the surgical procedure carried out to deliver a baby. This involves an...

Eating Vaginal Discharge and It’s Health Benefits

For many people, vaginal discharge is a sign that a woman is ready and willing to have sex. Vaginal fluid is a whitish fluid...

Skin Rashes: Causes, Symptoms and Effective Home Remedies

Skin rashes are common skin problems experienced by millions of people worldwide; it is characterized by a visible change in the color and texture...

Genital Warts: Do They Go Away Naturally? What to Expect?

Human Papilloma Virus is the causative organism for genital warts. The virus is available in various strains, and it can be contacted by many...

A Few Reasons Why Its OK to Go Braless

Having a bra on for long hours is one of the most uncomfortable things that a lady has to deal with almost every day....

Kinky Sex Punishment Ideas You Should Try

Is your submissive being a spoilt little brat? Are you noticing some unwanted behaviour? Do not be dismayed. Sometimes subs can be naughty, and...

Anklet Charms and Hot Wives What Do They Mean?

Women all over the world love to accessorise. From putting on necklaces to wearing makeup and buying the latest trending clothes, women are ready...

Spider Bites: Symptoms, Treatment & Identification

Spider bites in the United States are often annoying but they are rarely fatal. If a person gets bitten by a black widow spider...


Stay Connected

Get our Wellness newsletter

Nurture yourself with health tips, wellness advice, and more.

Related Posts

How to Prevent Poisoning in Your Home

There are currently more than 55 poison control centers located throughout the United States and in 2013 they received over 3.1 million reports of...

What Snoring Means for Your Child?

Children snore from time to time, and it isn’t often a concern for parents. Snoring comes in a variety of forms, from slight grunts...

Can Video Games Be Good for Your Kids?

Kids spend so much time in front of a screen these days, whether it is the TV, a laptop or their iPhone.  We worry...

Pros and Cons of Foster Care

A lot of individuals don’t know a great deal about foster care and may be a little afraid to give it a try. It...

How Heavy Should Your Child’s Backpack Be?

Parents can't wait for the schools to open their doors after the holidays so that kids can give them some breathing space. Yes, we...
- Advertisement -


  1. I appreciate what you said about visiting an OBGYN if you are leaking urine while you laugh or cough. I believe that receiving the best treatment available is essential when it comes to any medical need. My wife is looking for a reputable OBGYN, so I\’ll help her find one in our new area that has a strong reputation.

  2. You made a good point that you should tell your OB GYN if you’re having problems with urinary incontinence. My wife has brought up that she’s leaking urine and it’s been a sensitive subject for her. Maybe we should get her in for an appointment and make sure everything is alright.

  3. I like how you mentioned that gynecologist can help you in figuring out pain or bleeding after sex, by doing a pelvic exam. My wife is going to start attending a good doctor because we are planning for our first child. I’m going to let her know about the benefits of going to a gynecologist.

  4. Lately, I find it strange that I’m less passionate about sex. I think I need to see an OB/GYN so I’ll know the source of my low libido. It might be a hormonal problem as you’ve mentioned, but I’ll get my answer once I schedule an appointment.

  5. It’s interesting to know that skin conditions can help an OBGYN specialist determine the hormone levels of my body. I’ve been trying to get pregnant for almost half a year now with not much progress so I think it’s about time that I get to know more about my reproductive health. I hope an obstetrician can help me know when are my most fertile days so that my husband and I can time it properly.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here