Period cramps can be so disturbing and painful to the extent of even disrupting our usual daily activities. In this article, we will be looking at natural supplements (vitamins and minerals) that can help reduce cramps and pains experienced during menstruation; and how chromotherapy can also help.
Vitamins and minerals are nutrients that are needed in little quantity for the body to function properly.
Deficiency of vitamins and minerals can lead to health problems and medical complications, the same goes with when they are taken excessively. Follow the prescription to avoid over dose.
This helps to regulate the levels of estrogen in the body and promote general reproductive health; it protects the uterus and its lining. You can get the supplement or eat foods rich in vitamin A like carrots and cod liver oil.
This vitamin helps to relieve symptoms of PMS and painful cramps. It relieves bloating and depression.
This helps to treat fatigue experienced during menstruation as deficiency of this vitamin leads to fatigue. Eggs and poultry are good natural sources of vitamin B12.
This vitamin helps to reduce cravings during menstruation, as studies have linked deficiency of this vitamin to cravings. It also helps the body absorb iron. Take lots of oranges, vegetables or the supplement if you wish.
Studies have linked deficiency of this vitamin to muscle cramps and period cramps; it also helps the body to absorb calcium well and reduce inflammation. Take lots of eggs, enjoy sunrise and sunset by sunbathing and if possible sun gazing; or you take the supplements.
This vitamin eases PMS, painful period and breast pain that is usually experienced during menstruation.
This helps to relax muscles and relieve cramping. Deficiency of magnesium leads to menstrual cramps.
This mineral helps to reduce cramps, fatigue, and depression and also increase appetite.
Chromotherapy is the science of using colours to heal the body of diseases, bring the body to its set point of balance and to adjust body vibrations to frequencies that results in health and harmony.
This field of science believes that each colour has a frequency of a specific vibration and each vibration is related to different physical symptoms.
Colour therapy works and has been used by healers for thousands of years though medical science is just beginning to recognize and use it.
Modern day colour therapy has roots in ancient Egyptian culture, Greek philosophy, traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveda (Indian traditional Medicine); these ancient methods of healings believe all colours have curing powers, they believed colours are energy and this has been proved by medical science and they have started using it. So here are some colours that are said to help with pains and cramps during menstruation:
Red colour is great in enhancing blood circulation and supporting normal functions of the nerve. It fights tiredness and in ancient medicine, this is believed to be the colour of the reproductive system.
This helps with fatigue and exhaustion, it lifts up the spirit thereby combating depression; it also leaves a sense of euphoria.
This colour provides a positive calming effect for the body. It relaxes the muscles, soothes tension and anxiety, calms aches and pains.
Relaxes the muscles and reduces worry and anxiety.
Helps to relieve stress and nervous tensions experienced during menstruation.
Promotes relaxation and restfulness, makes one calm, has powerful tranquilizing properties; in chromotherapy, this colour is believed to have a positive effect on all kinds of pain.
It is the colour used often to relieve migraines, headaches, colds, stress, liver disorders, stomach pains, muscle cramps and nerve tensions. A massage done under this light gives immediate results.
This colour has a calming and sedative effect. As ladies, there are many ways we can use these colours during our periods to ease pain; we can either
- Wear clothes and accessories of any of these colours listed above.
- Paint your nails with any of these colours.
- Decorate paint work with any of these colours on the walls of your room.
- Get filtered lamps that reflects different colours and shades
- Get the picture of the colour on your phone and stare at it for a while, doing it many times daily.
- Eat foods that have these colours like fruits and vegetables.
- Or in severe cases of menstrual cramps, you meet an experienced chromotherapist to carry out chromotherapy session on you. This involves putting you in a dark room, with chromotherapy lamps, coloured optical slides, or a simple slide projector to show you colours to ease your pains. Sometimes coloured lights are applied to the affected body part, in this case stomach or abdomen; some chromotherapist includes massage when shining the light on the affected part to hasten healing. When this is being done on you, relax and focus on the colour that is being applied.
- Another way of using colours to heal is through the use of solarized water; this water makes it possible for people to apply colour to their body for healing. It is believed and proved that water when exposed to sunlight in a coloured container for at least one hour becomes charged and take up the vibrational energy of that particular colour. I will show you an easy and cheap way of doing this at home.
Get a bowl, bottle or any container of any of the colours listed above, pour clean water in it and expose it to sunlight for at least one hour; if you don’t have a coloured bowl, you can use a clear container or bottle but you must wrap it with cellophane of any of the colours listed above.
You can either drink it or bath with it. You can also produce solarized oil, sugar or salt using this method. So with these supplements and colour therapy is believed menstrual pain will be a thing of the past.