Malaria also known as plasmodium infection, caused by the plasmodium parasite is a life threatening disease that attacks the red blood cells mostly and destroys them.
The red blood cells are very important component of the blood, they contain hemoglobin; this hemoglobin helps in transporting oxygen around the body to every tissue and organ and removes carbondioxide from the body.
It affects humans when an infected anopheles mosquito bites them and injects the plasmodium into them. Its symptoms are cold, shivering, vomiting, headaches, bloody stools, muscle pain, anemia, abdominal pains, high temperature, tiredness, coma, sweats, deep breathing, jaundice, etc.
If left untreated it can lead to death as this disease is responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands (500,000 to be precise) of people yearly worldwide and more in the developing parts of the world. In this article, we will be looking at home remedies for malaria.
- Ginger: This will help strengthen your immune system, its phytochemicals and nutrients will speed up recovery and ease pains. Its active compound gingerol and its unique hydrocarbons have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Turmeric: This powerful anti-microbial and anti-oxidant agent helps to clean toxins created by plasmodium infection and also kills the parasite. Its anti-inflammatory effects help in eliminating the symptoms of malaria like joint pains and muscle pains.
- Alum: Alum is said to help relieve malaria by taking a teaspoon of the powder four hours before the expected fever attack and half a teaspoon after two hours of the attack. The alum used should be dried, powdered and roasted before use.
- Tamarind: Hausa call this tsamiya; it helps in relieving the signs and symptoms of malaria, taking this regularly will help a malaria patient.
- Grapefruit: This fruit has a powerful substance similar to quinine that helps in neutralizing the action of plasmodium. You can take its extract as a supplement or eat lots of the fruit.
- Cold compresses: This helps in bring down the temperature of malaria patients but do not use very cold water or ice, this will worsen the condition.
- Citrus fruits: limes, lemons, oranges are very high in vitamin C; they strengthen the immune system and helps it to fight off the malaria parasite. The quicken healing, eliminate high temperature, prevent the spread of infection and supplies the body with anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins. Taking their juices every morning on an empty stomach will help a malaria patient.
- Apple cider vinegar: This helps in reducing the fever, taking a teaspoon of this in a cup of water will help to reduce the temperature.
- Mustard seed oil: This oil has been proved by research to have anti-malaria property, using it to cook or adding it to smoothies will help a malaria patient to fight the infection and to recover fast.
- Green tea: This helps in strengthening the immune system to fight off the virus due to its high content of anti-oxidants.
- Fenugreek seeds: This helps to cure the weakness that comes along side malaria; it boosts fast recovery and strengthens the immune system to fight off the virus. Malaria patients should be encouraged to increase their daily intake of fenugreek seeds.
It is always advised and safer to see your doctor if you are down with malaria, this remedies are just to help you with the symptoms but not to replace treatment because if left untreated malaria can cause death.