There are some many phobias out there and technical names for them. It seems that a person can have a phobia of just about anything. A phobia can have a negative impact on a person’s life.
They may avoid certain situations and if things get real bad they may be afraid to leave their home. These are some phobias that put fear into people.
- Achluphobia – This is the fear of darkness. A person with this fear needs constant light.
- Aerophobia – This is the fear of flying
- Algophobia – This is the fear of pain. while pain is unpleasant there are some people that are afraid of this feeling.
- Androphobia – This is the fear of men. A person with this fear cannot be around males.
- Anginophobia – This is a fear of choking. A person may not want to eat or may only follow a liquid diet.
- Acrophobia – Fear of heights
- Agoraphobia – Fear of open spaces or crowds
- Aichmophobia – Fear of needles or pointed objects
- Amaxophobia – Fear of riding in a car
- Anthrophobia – Fear of flowers
- Anthropophobia – Fear of people or society
- Aphenphosmphobia – Fear of being touched
- Arachnophobia – Fear of spiders
- Arithmophobia – Fear of numbers
- Astraphobia – Fear of thunder and lightning
- Ataxophobia – Fear of disorder or untidiness
- Atelophobia – Fear of imperfection
- Atychiphobia – Fear of failure
- Autophobia – Fear of being alone
- Bacteriophobia – This is the fear someone has of bacteria and coming in contact with bacteria.
- Barophobia – This is the fear of gravity
- Batrachophobia – This is the fear of amphibians. The fear of snakes is a different phobia on its own.
- Bibliophobia – Is the fear of books. A person will not touch a book.
- Botanophobia – Is the fear of plants. A person may not want to go outside since there are plants all around
- Bathmophobia – Fear of stairs or steep slopes
- Belonephobia – Fear of pins and needles
- Cacophobia – This is the fear of something ugly. This can be an object or even a person.
- Catagelophobia – This is the fear of being made fun of or ridiculed especially in a public place
- Chionophobia – This is the fear of snow. A person with this fear should probably live in a warm climate.
- Coulrophobia – Is an intense fear of clowns, clown costumes, or even a person wearing clown makeup
- Catoptrophobia – Fear of mirrors
- Chromophobia – Fear of colors
- Chronomentrophobia – Fear of clocks
- Chronophobia – Fear of Time
- Claustrophobia – Fear of confined spaces
- Cyberphobia – Fear of computers
- Cynophobia – Fear of dogs
- Dendrophobia – Is the fear of trees. A person can fear all different types of trees.
- Domatophobia – This is the fear of houses. It is hard to tell where a person with this phobia is going to live.
- Dystychiphobia – This is the fear of accident. A person often lets this fear take over their lives and will not leave their home due to the fear of something happening.
- Dentophobia – This is the fear of dentists
- Elurophobia – Is the fear of cats
- Equinophobia – Fear of horses
- Entomophobia – Is the fear of all types of insects
- Ephebiphobia – Is the fear of teenagers. A person will not be able to be around those that are in their teen years.
- Ecophobia – Fear of the home
- Gamopobia – This is the fear of marriage and getting married
- Genuphobia – Is the fear of knees, people with this fear do not want anything to do with this body part
- Gynophobia – A person with this fear is afraid of women.
- Glossophobia – Fear of speaking in public
- Heliophobia – A person fears the sun. they cannot even look at the sun
- Hydrophobia – Is a fear of water. A person will not want to go swimming and showering may take a lot of effort.
- Hypochondria – The fear of contracting an illness or getting sick. This is another condition where a person often does not want to leave their home.
- Hemophobia – Fear of blood
- Herpetophobia – Fear of reptiles
I to L
- Iatrophobia – This is a fear of doctors and visiting a doctor
- Insectophobia – This an intense fear of insects
- Koinoniphobia – This is a fear of different rooms
- Leukophobia – People with this fear do not like the color white. They will avoid anything with this color.
- Lockiophobia – Is a fear of childbirth. While being nervous about childbirth is not uncommon, people with this fear are terrified of the process
- Lilapsophobia – Fear of tornadoes and hurricanes
- Mageriocophobia – This is the fear of cooking. A person will not make anything as they are terrified.
- Megalophobia – This is the fear of large objects.
- Melanophobia – Is the fear of the color black. A person will go out of their way to avoid things with black on them.
- Microphobia – Fear of small things
- Mysophobia – Fear of dirt and germs
- Necrophobia – Is the fear of death. This fear includes being of dead things.
- Nosocomephobia – This is a fear of hospitals. Even if a person is injured they are too scared to go to a hospital.
- Noctiphobia – Fear of the night
- Nyctophobia – Fear of the dark
- Obesophobia – This is a fear of gaining weight. While staying healthy is important people with this condition are at a higher risk for developing an eating disorder.
- Ombrophobia – This is the fear of rain. A person will not leave their home if there is even a chance of rain in the forecast.
- Ornithophobia – Is the fear of all types of birds.
- Octophobia – Fear of the figure 8
- Ophidiophobia – Fear of snakes
- Pedophobia – This is the fear of children. A person with this fear cannot be around young people.
- Papyrophobia – This is the fear of all types of paper
- Pathophobia – Fear of disease
- Philophobia – Fear of love
- Phobophobia – Fear of phobias
- Podophobia – Fear of feet
- Porphyrophobia – Fear of the color purple
- Pteridophobia – Fear of ferns
- Pteromerhanophobia – Fear of flying
- Pyrophobia – Fear of fire
- Samhaninophbia – Is the fear of the holiday Halloween. A person will not participate in this holiday and they will not go out during this day.
- Selenophobia – Is a fear of the moon. If the moon is out a person with this fear will not be.
- Somniphobia – Is the fear of sleeping. A person will not want to go to sleep. Some people with this fear think that they will not be able to wake up.
- Scolionophobia – Fear of school
- Sociophobia – Fear of social evaluation
- Tachophobia – This is the fear of speeding or going fast
- Tonitrophobia – This is the fear of thunder and lightning
- Technophobia – Fear of technology
- Trypanophobia – This is the fear of needles and getting any type of injection or shots
- Trypophobia – This is the fear of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes in the body
V to Z
- Venustraphobia – Is a fear of beautiful women. A person will not be able to be around a woman who is very attractive.
- Verminophobia – Is a fear of germs. A person is constantly washing things including their hands.
- Wiccaphobia – This is the fear of witches, anything perceived as witchcraft, and even people that follow wicca.
- Xenophobia – People are afraid of strangers. A person with this condition may also be afraid of foreigners or even tourists
- Zoophobia – This is the fear of all types of animals
These are a list of the different types of phobias that a person may have. Some phobias are more common than others. A person can have a phobia of just about anything. If a person does find something they are terrified of they should speak to a mental health professional.
They can get help so that the phobia does not take over their life or their quality of living due to this fear. Do you have a phobia or know someone who does? what are they afraid of? let us know in the comment box below.
Articles on healthtian.com are for educational purpose ONLY.