Everyone loves to have a good looking and beautiful nail, hence the need for artificial nails. You probably have a weak, broken, damaged, brittle or short nails, that doesn’t look good; but nail extensions are great help that always come to the rescue of every lady.
There are different types and procedures of nail extension, but our focus today is on two major kinds- Acrylic and Gel nail extension.
Both kinds of nail extension give protection to your natural nails. They do not require the use of glue and after the procedure; they give protection to your nails.
Gel nail extension is very similar to regular nail polish; it’s applied the same way. A base coat is applied, and a topcoat is applied after, over the nails. With each coat, the nail is placed under a UV light between 30 seconds-2 minutes to cure. Then the Gels get hard with a non-porous surface.
Once cured, the layer of gel polish hardens and won’t smudge like a regular nail polish. The final result is a glossy and freshly manicured looking nail. They are very glossy and long lasting than the regular nail polish.
For removal, you can only get them off by filing them or by repeated buffing. Unlike regular nail polish, gel nail polish hardens and is less likely to chip or fade. However, gel nails usually last for around 14 days without chipping.
Toward the end of this period, gel nails may start to peel or lift at the corners.
Acrylic nails on the other hand, is more complicated when it comes to application. They are placed on top of your natural nails and stuck on using a liquid and powder mixture, which is laid over your natural nail with a brush.
The liquid monomer mixed with inhibitor forms a malleable bead, and immediately dries off and turns to solid. Then the nails are left to dry. After that, your nails are filed and buffed into the desired shape.
A base coat and topcoat can be applied for finishing touches. A base coat is applied to your nails to make your nails last longer while topcoat makes the colour last longer.
Some questions asked.
- Which one is cheaper?
- Which one is easier to apply?
- Which is long lasting?
- Which is easier to remove?
- Which one is the most suitable for my nails?
Major Highlights of Both Nails
- Depending on your taste, nail enhancements are used to create the appearance of a natural look or for arts purposes. Between both types of nails, gel nails look more natural and it has a glossy look than acrylic nails while acrylic looks less natural.
- Acrylic nails are cheaper than gel nails.
- Gel nails can be prone to peeling. They can last without wearing out for up to 14days. On the other side, acrylic nails provide a hard, thick, robust, sturdy, protective layer, hence their longer duration. This is due to the powder and liquid hybrid mixture they’re created with. Since acrylic nails are so durable, you don’t have to worry about your nails cracking or breaking.
- The acrylic nail is created through the application of the powder and liquid which needs to dry. The curing time is generally slower for as compared to gel nails. Gel nails require a few seconds or minutes to dry out proper through the UV (ultraviolet) light.
- Both acrylic and gel nails require professional help for better results in the application and removal procedure. But typically, acrylic nails require a nail technician, whereas gel nails can be easily done and removed at home.
- Most people do not enjoy the uneasiness that follows the acrylic nail because of the irritation/ inflammation that may occur around the cuticle. Gel nails, on the other hand, are just like a gel and take their shape themselves from the layer of your natural nails and hence are very easy on the hands.
- Gel nails are gentler when touched, hence their flexibility. Whereas Acrylic nails are hard and also look thicker than gel nails. Any stress applied to acrylic nails can cause severe hurt to the original nail.
Nails generally improve the appearance of our natural nail. Based on your personal preference, if you love natural-looking nails, gel nails are a great choice.
Otherwise to prevent cracking and peeling nails, acrylic nails are more suitable. Or you could simply decide what type of manicure you want, and then choose a salon that specializes in it.
In as much as nail extensions helps prevent your nails from getting damaged, do ensure not to carry them for long periods of time. Also ensure that they are correctly applied, so as to reduce the risk of damaging your natural nails.
Always remember that the key to getting the best type of nails is to rely on a licensed nail technician to give you your manicure.