A lot of people love to eat a healthy meal. However,, the budget and time for it is a problem most of the time.
Think about it with all the expensive powders juices and superfoods that people assume is what they need to be healthy you can’t actually blame them for saying they can’t afford to eat healthily.
Nevertheless, some people live on a college budget and still discover that it is easy for them to eat healthily. One of the questions people might ask at this point is how they can afford to eat healthy even with their tight budget.
Well in this article you will be learning easy and helpful tips that will help you eat healthily and also save a lot of money this article also comes with some very affordable recipes that will have you spending as little as $3 to get a tasty and healthy meal.
Money-saving tips for healthy eating.
Table of Contents
- 1. The best time to stop is in season
- 2. Purchase in bulk or frozen
- 3. Use coupons and also find sales
- 4. Plan your meals and stick to your list
- 5. Hit up the farmer’s market
- 6. Bring cash when shopping
- 7. Only shop on the perimeter of the stores
- 8. Buy a variety of protein sources
1. The best time to stop is in season
Almost 100% of the time shopping when produced are in season is the best idea ever because those things are usually cheaper. So to get the best of healthy foods at a more affordable rate, you need to research what is in season at particular times of the year and then go ahead and stock up.
If you are worried about how to stop your products, you can always freeze them and then bring them back out whenever you need to use them again.
Do not forget always to check the expiration date if your buying vegetables and meat because they are perishable goods and are not designed to last forever.
2. Purchase in bulk or frozen
Bulk food such as nuts and grains, frozen fruits and veggies, and also canned goods are usually not so expensive.
As a matter of fact, frozen vegetables and fruits are generally picked when the perfectly ripe before the freeze them, and I usually happens within a couple of how hours after they’ve been harvested.
You do not have to be afraid of whether or not your frozen vegetables will be nutritious or still have the normal flavour they are supposed to come with because they are frozen almost immediately after they are harvested.
Frozen plants have all of those locked in nicely, and because they are frozen, they can last a long time.
3. Use coupons and also find sales
There are usually times when grocery stores have coupon booklet available to help customers served on of money do not be too ashamed to grab a couple of them so that the next time you purchase you will be saving many extra coupons usually last a while, so that’s a good one.
4. Plan your meals and stick to your list
If you must eat healthily and save money then you need to stay on track planning is what will help you achieve that.
When you want to shop make sure you only buy what you need and also do not forget to re-purpose ingredients for any other recipe that they might be useful for. Take, for example; you can use cooked quinoa for both breakfast and for dinner.
5. Hit up the farmer’s market
The best place you can get fresh seasonal produce at the cheapest rate is in the local farmers market because the products are usually sold for a lesser price than they are sold in the grocery stores.
Another advantage of buying from the local farmers market is because they produce are generally fresher than what you get from grocery stores as they are sold immediately after harvest.
6. Bring cash when shopping
Using money when you go shopping for vegetables and fruits will force you only to spend the exact amount you genuinely need.
That way you do not end up buying the bag of potatoes that you do not need or shopping for wild berries that you cannot afford at the moment.
7. Only shop on the perimeter of the stores
You probably have never discovered, but grocery stores are always strategically planned the freshest of fruits and vegetables are usually kept on the outer rings of grocery stores so whenever you pick from that part of the grocery store you are more likely to avoid buying stale products and those that are usually more expensive and processed.
8. Buy a variety of protein sources
I understand that a lot of people are into the fish and meat protein sources however if you add in plant-based protein sources to your diet it can be a significantly cheaper way to get these nutrients than buying animals products.
Buying plant-based person, so she’s with help you save a lot of money some example of plant-based protein sources are:
- Tofu is tempeh
- Various types of beans
- Nut butter
- Green peas
- Ezekiel bread
One recipe that does not cost above $3
Simple chickpea curry
- 115 oz. can of chickpeas
- 115 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
- 115 oz. can of coconut milk
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 an onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 diced red chilli pepper
- 1/2 a lime, juice and zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Precooked rice or quinoa, around 1 cup dry.
- Heat a deep pan on medium sized pot on medium heat, add some non-stick spray or a little oil and throwing your garlic and onions.
- The next thing you have to do is great your ginger into the pot or pan followed by your nicely chopped chilli pepper. As soon as all of that is a little bit quote you can begin to add your spices and then cook for another 30 seconds.
- You can toss in your coconut milk chickpeas and chopped tomatoes and season with pepper and salt and let cook for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stay in some lime juice and zest and also some fresh cilantro. You can serve this with any cooked green of your choice or even some fresh avocados.
Several other healthy food recipes do not cost so much all you have to do is do your research and see how best you can manage the ingredients you can afford to give you all the nutrients that your body requires.
If you know any other healthy food recipe or you have other tips that might be helpful to people who want to feed well on a budget, please do not hesitate to share them with us but the comment section.