These infections contracted from having unprotected sex with an infected person. Most STIs are symptom less or rarely show symptoms at the initial stage of contraction. This makes it difficult for young people to know that they are infected.
Common Types of STI
Some common STIs that are spreading widely among young people include;
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts
- Pubic lice
- Hepatitis B
Sexually transmitted infections (STI) are now more common among young people in some nations in the world. This is because people are scared of being stigmatized and this prevents them from getting checked and is causing an increase in the spread of these infections. Some reasons why STIs are on the rise among young people include;
- The fear of stigmatization by society.
- Some people feel that the use of condoms reduces intimacy and pleasure.
- Some young people assume that they will be able to detect when a person is infected by looking at them.
- Some young people feel that the STI they may contract will be cured easily by taking a pill.
- Some feel that taking some sort of contraception before sex will protect them from STIs.
How to Reduce The Rate of STIs?
It is easier to prevent sexually transmitted infections than curring them. Below are a few tips to help you prevent STI;
- Do not do a self-diagnostics as symptoms of STIs vary from person to person.
- Always use a condom with your sex partner.
- Reduce the number of sexual partners you may have.
- Always go for regular check-ups.
- Do not use drugs without prescription by a medical professional.
- Society should also help support infected persons by encouraging them to seek medical attention.