Each of us have different routines with hidden effects of which we are unaware most often. Coffee its part of many peoples routine and besides its miraculous effects on human body it has also some negative aspects. Coffee contains chromogens and acids which increase the staining process of the teeth.
They have impact on the teeth enamel which is the hardest substance in the human body. Despite this fact, the enamel is not flat and smooth, it contains microscopic pits and ridges that retain particles of food and drink. Pigments from drinks stain the teeth and, in time, theyll become yellow.
Tips to prevent stains on the teeth
1. Lighter colored coffee stains less, but it contains the same pigments and acids and it wont prevent the stains unless you combine it with a considerable quantity of milk or cream.
2. Use a straw while consuming certain drinks such coffee. It will help protect your teeth because it pulls liquids inside your mouth.
3. In order to diminish the effect of coffee on your teeth, try to consume it at specific break times rather than sipping it constantly throughout a whole day. After finishing your coffee, you can rinse your mouth out with water or, even better, brush your teeth to remove the yellow pigments from them.
4. Brushing your teeth regularly it is essential for the good health of your teeth. Regular brush and flossing reduce yellowish stains, especially if you use a whitening toothpaste. You can combine it with an alcohol free mouthwash to get rid of surface stains and prevent future discoloration.
5. It is recommended that you brush your teeth after consuming foods or drinks that are supposed to stain your teeth. For an extra effect you can use a toothpaste with whitening compounds.
6. Bleaching gels and strips can also be helpful in this process.
7. Dont forget about regular visits at your dentist in order to get your teeth cleaned. Professional cleaning will help to smooth the fine cracks in tooth enamel and teeth polish reduces the amount of stains.
Aspects you should know
Tooth enamel changes while getting older and the stains gets into the little cracks. There are certain compounds in the food and drink that cause teeth staining:
- chromogens that contain strong pigments that cling the enamel.
- tannins which are plant compounds that make easier for stains to stick the teeth.
- acids that make the enamel softer and rougher and more prone to stains.
Besides coffees negative impact on your teeth, you should know that smoking, drinking certain liquids or eating foods that contain different pigments will change the color of your teeth.
Tea contains acids and also tannins, so it is also a drink with staining potential. The frequency of consuming it is decisive for the yellowing stains.
Other foods and drinks have the same effect on your teeth. Red wine is good for your health, but it is very acidic, contains lots of tannins and it is full of chromogens. White wine contains both tannins and acids and makes your teeth more sensitive to other foods such as tomato, blueberries, strawberries. Lollipops and other colored candies, ice pops or sweetened drinks have the same staining effect on your teeth. Soda drinks such as Coke are acidic and some of them contain chromogens due to their dark color.
Also lemon flavors contain acids and make the teeth prone to stains from other foods or drinks. The same effect has also the lemonade. After consuming it, the teeth become more sensitive to stains.
Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries and tomatoes contain many chromogens while grapes and pomegranates contain tannins. Before choosing your food and drink based on fruits think about their potential to stain your teeth. If a fruit would stain your clothes, be aware that it has the same effect on your teeth.
The good news is that you wont have to give up coffee or other certain foods and drinks if you follow the advices above. Furthermore, with whiter teeth, your smile will be more attractive and this will make you more confident in yourself.