This article is a basic 1-week cabbage soup diet recipe. It is meant to be more of a jump-start diet than a long-term diet, even though some individuals choose to stay on it for a couple of weeks.
It starts with a few days of highly nutritious fruit, vegetables, and of course, cabbage soup. If you are wondering if it contains proteins, it does contain little or no protein at all. Then, there is the addition of bananas and skim milk. Later in the week, rice and beef are added to the diet.
If you have any particular health concerns, issues or dietary restrictions, you must first speak to your healthcare professional before starting this diet.
One beautiful thing about the basic cabbage soup is that it is quite delicious, whether you decide to follow the cabbage soup diet or not!
Go ahead and make this soup with beans, chicken, ground meat, or fish if you’d like. We have added variations that you can take a look at for more add-in ideas.
- 6 large size scallions
- 2 regular size green bell peppers
- 1 or 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch of sliced celery
- 1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 packet of dry onion soup mix, like Lipton
- Optional: 1 or 2 cubes of bouillon
- 1 (48-ounce) can tomato vegetable juice, or opt for 6 cups of water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: curry powder, parsley, paprika, or garlic powder.
Steps to Make It
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Chop the bell peppers and green onions
- Pour in all the chopped vegetables to the slow cooker together with the celery, cabbage, tomatoes, bouillon, onion soup mix, water or tomato juice.
- Cover the pot and cook on LOW for around 5 hours.
- Pour in the seasonings, to taste, and keep cooking for about 1 to 2 hours more.
- Eat all the cabbage soup you want, however and whenever you want.
The cabbage soup is a very delicious one and it makes an amazing lunch soup. Add one pound of ground turkey or browned ground beef for a heartier soup.
You can add summer squash or Zucchini to the soup.
You can also add a can of drained great northern, red, navy, pinto, or black beans.
Instead of using bouillon, add 1 can of condensed French onion soup or condensed (or double strength) beef broth.
- Add 1/2 cup of thinly sliced or diced carrots.
- Garnish the cabbage soup with some diced boiled bacon.
- Add leftover corned beef or diced ham to the soup.
- Add 1 cup of fresh spinach or kale nicely chopped into the soup mixture.
The Basic cabbage soup Diet Plan
- Day 1- You can eat all types of fruit, except bananas; in addition to the soup
- Day 2 – Any and all types of vegetables. You can have baked potato with butter for dinner; with your cabbage soup
- Day 3 – Combine the food plan for Day 1 and 2, without adding potato; plus your soup
- Day 4 – Eat Up to six bananas, drunk all the skim milk you like; plus cabbage soup
- Day 5 – 10 to 20 ounces of cooked beef, one can of tomatoes , and about 6 to 8 glasses of water; in addition to the soup
- Day 6 – Eat all the cooked beef and fresh vegetables you want; in addition to the soup
- Day 7 – Unsweetened fruit juices, brown rice, and vegetables; in addition to cabbage soup
No alcohol, bread, or carbonated beverages is allowed – not even a can of diet soda!